A man is the faculty of reporting, and the universe is the possibility of being reported - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, October 31, 2008

Online Rail Ticketing in India - Alternate Sites

IRCTC (Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation) is one of the largest e-commerce sites in India. For many years it has been the only site to book rail tickets online in India. However; the site remains very busy because of huge popularity and traffic. Today, my colleague Aamir told me about alternate ticket booking sites. It was good to know that IRCTC has decided to end their monopoly over railway ticketing.

IRCTC API was opened in July this year and as of now there are couple of alternate sites which can be used to book rail tickets online. This is a welcome change as we now have additional front end interfaces to access back end of railway booking system.

Thomas Cook (India) Limited can be used to book general and Tatkal tickets at an additional charge of Rs. 9/-. It has a simple interface and it shows availability of seats in a nice floating section on the booking page.

Cleartrip has a fast and easy interface.

I hope, other players like yatra, makemytrip and travelguru will soon start similar service.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cleartrip is by far the best online travl website I have used and their rail booking is awesome.
I doubt these other travel websites can match upto Cleartrip.Infact Indian railway website should ask Cleartrip to do the website for them.

Anonymous said...

IRCTC brought revolution in train reservation.. now with more players situation will improve..

cleartrip quite attractive and userfrendly.. hope for best..

Anonymous said...

I love the images I have seen of the Darjeeling train. Someday, I would like to expeirnce that. When I set my mind t something, I remind myself, 'where the will exists, a way will be found.'

Anonymous said...

Hi,

If more players in a business means customers get good support.

Nice blog.
:-)
Healing